Friday, October 10, 2008

Adverts

RAP VERSE 1 [JAY-Z]:
I used to run base like Juan Pierre
Now I run the bass hi hat and the snare
I used to bag girls like Birkin Bags
Now I bag B
([BEYONCE]: Boy you hurtin' that)
Brooklyn Bay where they birthed me at
Now I be everywhere, the nerve of rap
The audacity to have me whippin curtains back
Me and B, she about to sting
Stand back

VERSE 1 [BEYONCE]:
Baby...Seems like everywhere I go
I see you...From your eyes, your smile
It's like I breathe you...Helplessy I reminisce
Don't want to...Compare nobody to you

__________________________________________________________________

As consumers become more aware of their spending power and their conscious effort to always keep up with rising trends, advertisers have become more and more ingenious with the way they advertise their products. Lately, the trend has been to implant their brands in songs sung by singers such as Kanye West, Jay Z and Beyonce. Through this idea of product placement or subliminal messages, companies and brands hope that they become associated with the singer who sings their brand name. Just for that spot on a song, companies are willing to spend million of dollars on that one artist. Whether that song will be a hit or a miss is a different story altogether.

Similar to the idea of sponsoring clothes or accessories that an artist wears, the idea of implementing their name in a song borrows the same concept. If the song is catchy enough, it would be played over and over again and thus, the name would be repeated with every played song. This allows a person to be more familiar with the name and familiarity makes a person "friendlier" to the product so to speak. Subconsciously, a person who likes the artiste would also purchase the product as it is "endorsed" by the person they idolise.

I personally think that it is an ingenious idea. A song stays with a person for very long and if you like a particular song, it is highly unlikely that you would forget it the song. Also, as the artiste would only say, or rather, sing the brand name and not it's specific product of a particular season, the advertisement stays evergreen and is highly unlikely to become obsolete.

No comments: